Find us on FacebookFollowus on Facebook Chester Place
Tenants - Chester Place


Renting quality properties available now and in the near future.

Please contact us with your requirements. Property search service is available if you are not familiar with the area. We have extensive knowledge and would be happy to assist you in your property search.

Whoever you rent a property with, this general guide to renting will cover many of the typical questions asked by tenants.

Q: How much do I need to budget for additional costs (deposits etc.) to the rental payments to start a tenancy?

A: To reserve a property you will be asked for an application fee which will vary depending on you circumstances. Details of our currents fees can be found Here. This will hold the property for you whilst we carry out referencing. Before applying you should bear in mind that this fee is non-refundable in the event of an application being unsuccessful but will be refunded should the Landlord not wish to proceed. Once successful referencing has been obtained and the Landlord has approved the tenancy, the tenancy agreement will be signed. At this stage, the first months’ rent in advance and the deposit are payable. A Deposit equivalent to the sum of one and a half months rent will be held with The Deposit Protection Service for the duration of the tenancy.

Q: Who pays for utilities, are these including in the rent?

A: Normally the Tenant takes over all of the utilities including water and council tax, which are not included in the rent. Some rooms may have all the bills included in the rent.

Q: What is a letting agent's role for the Tenant?

A: The agent is employed by the Landlord so the agent will act in their best interests. However, letting agents who are licensed members of ARLA (Association of Residential Letting agents) will abide by best practice rules that work for both Landlord and Tenant. Using a ARLA licensed letting agent, such as ourselves, ensures that you sign a tenancy agreement that clearly sets responsibilities of both the Landlord and Tenant. Please follow this link why you should use ARLA licensed letting agent.

Q: Who do I deal with - the letting agent or Landlord?

A: The letting agent will deal with the property viewings, references, agreements and getting you moved in to your rental property. From that point onwards, your point of contact depends on whether the Landlord manages their property themselves, or the Agent will be dealing with it. If the property is managed by us, the Tenant will normally report any repairs or queries to ourselves, otherwise the Tenant and Landlord must liaise directly with each other.

Q: Who should arrange and pay for repairs at the property?

A: The Landlord should arrange any necessary property repairs. However, Tenants are responsible for breakages which would normally be deducted from the deposit unless otherwise agreed. A Tenant should report repairs and breakages as soon as they occur.

Q: What privacy am I entitled to - when should I expect visits from the Landlord or agent?

A: A Tenant’s privacy is respected by gaining prior agreement to inspect a property during the tenancy. As a general guide, whilst you are renting, the letting agent or Landlord will visit the property at least twice. This subject is normally addressed in the tenancy agreement.

Q: How long does a rental tenancy last?

A: Most rental tenancies last for 6 months and will be renewable after that time. Where the Landlord has instructed or accepted a break-clause, this normally provides a right for either the Landlord and/or the Tenant to terminate the Agreement with 2 months’ notice from the Landlord and 1 month notice from the Tenant. This notice has to be served in writing by the party giving notice.

Q: What type of rental agreement is used - can I change or add to it?

A: An Assured Short hold Tenancy (AST) is used for the majority of residential tenancies. This is normally a standard contract between Landlord and Tenant.

Q: Can I rent a room to somebody?

A: As any guide to renting will explain, the names of all of the occupiers must be declared on the Assured Short hold Agreement (AST). If a Tenant sublets to a person who is not detailed on the AST, they will be breaking the terms of the agreement.

Q: If I want to leave the property can I give notice at any time during the tenancy?

A: If you leave earlier than the agreed end of tenancy date you will be liable to pay the rent until the end of the tenancy. However, if a new Tenant is introduced to the property, you can stop paying rent but should cover the agent’s fees for marketing and preparing new agreements.

Q: When do I get my rental deposit returned?

A: Many deposits can be returned after you vacate the property within a maximum of 10 days if there is no dispute. After the property has been inspected at the end of the tenancy the deposit will be returned minus any deductions for damages. Letting agents encourage Landlords to make the process as fair as possible by having a professional inventory agent examine the property. A report is prepared at the beginning of the tenancy recording the condition of the property, and then again at the end of the tenancy.

Q: Does it matter which letting agent I rent through?

A: To ensure you receive a professional service it’s best to choose to rent a property via a NAEA or ARLA agent, such as Chester Place. A NAEA and ARLA agent works to professional standards that work well for both Landlords and Tenants. A Tenant renting via a NAEA and ARLA agent can expect that the Landlord will carry out safety checks e.g. gas, electricity and furnishings. The correct tenancy agreement will be used, ensuring that responsibilities are clearly set down and privacy of the Tenant is adequate.

Q: What tips do you have for finding a property?

A: Make sure to check our website regularly, some of our properties won't be listed yet as we gain new rental properties regularly. Contact us with your requirements and we will assist you promptly.

Q: What reference details will be required to rent a property?

A: Before drawing up the tenancy agreement agents will need to take references (including a credit check). We have to satisfy the Landlord that you are able to pay the rent and have a good character reference. You will need the following reference details for renting:

  • Full name, date of birth, nationality
  • Your address history for the last 3 years
  • Proof of address: utility bill or mobile phone statement
  • Income/occupation: details of your income sources and employer
  • Bank account: details of the bank account to be used to pay the rent
  • Your next of kin: details of who to contact in an emergency on your behalf
  • Name of previous Landlord/managing agent (if any)
  • Contact details of someone who can provide a character reference for you

Q: What is a guarantor and why would a guarantor be required?

A: In some circumstances we will ask for a Guarantor to underwrite the rent, meaning that they will step in and pay it should the Tenant have any difficulties. Typically this is the case when the Tenant is a student, is self-employed or has only been employed for a short while. A Guarantor has to be a homeowner, have a clean credit history, and be in employment or in receipt of pensions.

Q: How do I pay my rent?

A: At Chester place we accent rental payment By Standing Order (our preferred method) Standing Order dates must be set up for a minimum of 4 days before the rent due date stated in the tenancy agreement. This will allow time for the monies to be first transferred into the Chester Place Client Account and then into the Landlord’s account. Other Landlords/agents may vary. We regret that we cannot accept any credit or debit card payments.

Q: Who will have keys to my rental property?

A: We ask the Landlord to provide a set of keys for each Tenant renting the property. Under no circumstances are locks to be changed by the Tenant without prior approval of the Landlord. Tenants must ensure they return all keys to Chester Place at the end of the tenancy period, to avoid deductions from the deposit money for replacing any locks. Chester Place retains a set of keys which may in emergencies be borrowed by the Tenant.

Q: What will happen when I move in?

A: We will normally meet you at the property to proceed with the ‘Check-In’. We will read the gas, electricity and water meter (if any) and check the inventory. We also ask the Landlord to leave you any instruction or appliance manuals in a binder for your reference. Other agents/Landlords may vary.

Q: What protects the Tenant from shoddy appliances/wiring?

A: All gas appliances and associated pipe work must by law be maintained in a safe condition and be checked for safety at least every 12 months by a suitably qualified engineer. Before moving into the property, you must be handed a copy of the last record of inspection. Also, a record of these checks should be in the property. Similarly, instructions for these appliances should be in the property.

All furniture must have a label clearly showing that it is fire resistant. Any new or additional furniture being put into the property must also comply with these regulations. The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994: Electrical appliances must be checked before you

Q: Who is my point of contact during the tenancy?

A: This depends entirely on whether your property is managed or overseen by the Landlord directly. If your property is managed by Chester Place then you'll be provided with our emergency contact number and will be welcome to contact us at any time. Chester Place retains a set of keys which may in emergencies be borrowed by the Tenant. .

Q: How do I renew my tenancy or move out?

A: If you wish to stay on in the property, the agent will seek approval from the Landlord and make any necessary arrangements. If the Landlord does not wish to renew the tenancy we can start looking for an alternative property to rent and, should you wish to rent through us we again, do not charge any administration fees and could arrange your deposit to be transferred to the new property.

Please see the link for "How to Rent" leaflet on home page

Quick Search
Max Price

Contact Us

15 Castle Street, Chester, CH1 2DS
Phone: 01244 458776
or 01244 341545

Tenant Repair Request


We have found Chester place to be a professional, prompt and consistent letting agent from the outset. Special mention must go to our main contact at Chester Place - Zoe Serafimova, whom has been nothing but helpful, friendly and reliable during our tenancy agreement. I would truly recommend Chester Place to anyone seeking accommodation in and around the Chester area as a result of our positive experience with them....
Phillip Smallwood & Cara Peers

Where we advertise
Chester Place

Legal & Privacy | Sitemap | Links | Web Design and Software by Acquaint CRM
© 2017 Chester Place - Letting Agents in Chester